About this charity
Through our AHEPA Service Dogs for Warriors program to match veterans with specially trained service dogs to help mitigate and assist them in their path to recovery and management of their disabilities; as well as, provide the veteran with the companionship and therapeutic qualities of a specially trained service dog that was rescued from a dog pound. Saving a life of a dog to save the life of a veteran at a cost of $15,000; at no cost to the veteran.
How Can AHEPA Service Dogs for Warriors Help
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is an anxiety disorder that can occur after you have been through a traumatic event. During this type of event, you think that your life or other's lives are in danger. You may feel afraid or feel that you have no control over what is happening.
Anyone who has gone through a life-threatening event can develop PTSD. These events can include:
- Combat or Military Exposure, Terrorist attacks, Sexual or physical assault
- Serious accidents, such as a car wreck, Natural disasters, such as a fire, tornado hurricane, flood, or earthquake
After the event, you may feel scared, confused, or angry. If these feelings don't go away or they get worse, you may have PTSD. These symptoms may disrupt your life, making it hard to continue with your daily activities.
AHEPA Service Dogs for Warriors can help create customized training programs for PTSD Service Dogs to help those who are suffering and living with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
PTSD Dogs are trained to
- Provide assistance in a medical crisis
- Provide treatment related assistance
- Provide assistance in coping with emotional overload
- Perform security enhancement tasks
PTSD Service Dogs can
- help adjust serotonin levels
- help lower blood pressure
- help with episodes of depression
- provide companionship
- calm their handler
- preventing people from crowding around or rushing up on their handler